This page provides useful articles and books about public education. Let us know if you want to add something.
- Donovan, John T. “A Tale of Two Strikes: The Formation of United Teachers-Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Teachers Strikes of 1970 and 1989,” Southern California Quarterly Vol. 81. No. 3 (Fall 1999), 377-496.
- Donovan, John T., “Helen Bernstein and United Teachers-Los Angeles, 1990-1996,” Southern California Quarterly Vol. 83. No. 4 (Winter 2001), 399-414.
- Pastor, Jr., Manuel, and James L. Sadd and Rachel Morello-Frosch, “Who’s Minding the Kids? Pollution, Public Schools, and Environmental Justice in Los Angeles,” Social Science Quarterly Vol. 83, No. 1 (MARCH 2002), 263-280.
- Shaffer, Robert, “Public Employee Unionism: A Neglected Social Movement of the 1960s,” The History Teacher, Vol. 44, No. 4 (August 2011), 489-508.
Books and Dissertations
- Armbruster-Sandoval, Ralph. Starving for Justice: Hunger Strikes, Spectacular Speech, and the Struggle for Dignity (University of Arizona, 2017).
- Katz, Michael B. and Mike Rose, edited, Public Education Under Siege (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2013).
- Murphy, Marjorie. Blackboard Unions: The AFT and the NEA, 1900-1980 (Cornell University Press, 1992).
- Raftery, Judith. Land of Fair Promise: Politics and Reform in Los Angeles Schools, 1885-1941 (Stanford University Press, 1992).
- Ravitch, Diane. Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America’s Public Schools (Vintage Books, 2014).
- Ryan, Howard. Educational Justice: Teaching and Organizing against the Corporate Juggernaut (Monthly Review Press, 2016).